Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oriented!


Hello, friends!

I just completed two weeks of orientation in Chicago with the folks from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the Reformed Church of America, the Capuchin Franciscan Volunteer Corps, and the Presbyterians (I missed my program's orientation in June, so I got to join the greater ecumenical party...). Reflecting on the orientation, I find myself more mentally prepared for my radical relocation than I was two weeks ago. Most importantly, I've fully realized that this is indeed a "radical" step for me - I'm starting to get down to the reality of this next year. I found it difficult to really propel myself forward into my new context while sailing in Maine. I needed to talk with other mission workers, start learning Japanese, take some time to reflect and question... (the fruit of which you can see in my first post here).

And now I'll have many friends in Japan! There are a bunch of mission workers from the other denominations teaching English in Japan next year, so I'll have some support when I arrive in October.

Speaking of October, I've attached a picture of the fall leaves in my town, Nasushiobara in the Nasu District. Looks like they rival New Hampshire's stunning foliage! (Yes, Dartmouth friends, I'm becoming a leaf-peeper...) The more I learn about Japan, the more excited I am to get there!

In closing:
"Let us pursue knowledge and wisdom, for mutual understanding.
Let us pursue respect and compassion, for mutual up-building.
Let us pursue justice and peace, for mutual reconciliation."
(See link for a great video of dancing around the globe and through communities!)

No comments:

Post a Comment